Everything in this Wiki is contributed by people like you.
If you see something wrong fix it. If you see something missing please add it. The more you participate the better it will be.
(Because of the nature of a wiki, TeachBeyond makes no claim of accuracy for this content.)
Buying your initial plane ticket to your country of service will be done in partnership with TeachBeyond through Mike Koerber. As a missionary there are a variety of discounts that you have available. One of the primary airlines you can fly with is British Airlines which will sometimes allow Missionaries to bring 3 checked bags for free.
Most smart phones can work internationally but you need to make sure you have them unlocked before you leave your home country. Different carriers have different rules. Some will unlock your phone if you just call and ask other carriers won't unlock your phone if you recently signed up under a new contract.
- T-Mobile: Has a month to month international plan without a long term contract. So you can sign up for T-Mobile plan as you transition overseas.
- World Lens: A language translator the works without a data plan. You just point the camera at the foreign language and it translates the words in real time.
- Maps.Me: A map program that you can use without data. It costs $5 for the full version.
Some people have had a lot of success using large ziploc bags that you can fill with close and then vacuum compress them. We bought three large army duffel bags from Amazon. They also are easy to store after you unpack in Germany. Here is an Amazon link.
- Chase Bank
- Chase bank offers a card called Chase Platinum. It has no extra fees for international purchases.
- Charles Schwab
- This is a majority an on-line bank. Because of that they have free ATM withdrawals worldwide. You can withdraw money with no exchange fees and no ATM fees. It still uses the normal exchange rate but with no additional charges. You can also deposit to Charles Schwab using their phone app.
- Car Insurance
- Depending on where you are moving the more time you can show that you have had insurance as well as proof of the amount of claims you have had with that insurance you can get a better rate.
- Drivers License
- Marriage Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Current Passport